Here is a list of the benefits of kindness on health:
* A more optimistic and happier outlook on life
* A heightened sense of well being
* A sense of exhilaration and euphoria
* An increase in energy
* A feeling of being healthy
* Decreased feelings of loneliness, depression and helplessness
* A sense of connectedness with others
* A greater sense of calmness and relaxation
* Increased longevity
* Better weight control
* An improvement in insomnia
* A stronger immune system
* A reduction in pain
* Increased body warmth
* A healthier cardiovascular system (reduction of high blood pressure, improved circulation, reduced coronary disease)
* A reduction of excessive stomach acid
* A decrease of oxygen requirement
* Relief from arthritis and asthma
* Speedier recovery from surgery
* Reduced cancer activity.
And, these can be for both GIVER and RECEIVER (according to the theory of “givers gain”).
We live in times where one theory considers that 95 per cent of all illness is psychosomatic. As kindness actively changes you body’s biochemistry to produce “positive” chemicals, you can change both your psychological and physical responses through giving/receiving kindness. Positive emotional experiences help soothe your body, reduce stress and improve your sense of well-being.
So, remember how YOU feel when someone is kind to you – a hug, a rush of feeling good and an uplift of mood – why not deliver it to others, and feel good, too? Please let me know – how does being kind affect you and your life?
Two quotes to finish with:
“Modern research shows one of the most pleasurable of all human acts is also one of the healthiest things you can do for yourself and for others. Gentle, caring selflessness results in significant health benefits.”
“Altruism behaves like a miracle drug, and a strange one at that. It has beneficial effects on the person doing the helping – the helper’s high; it benefits the person to whom the help is directed; and it can stimulate healthy responses in persons at a distance who may view it only obliquely.”